Ystradgynlais & District

History and Heritage

Brynllynfell Chapel

Brynllynfell Calvinistic Methodist Chapel, is located in Cae Du, Cwmllynfell, up a side road by Cwmllynfell Social Club. It's name stone above the door says that it was constructed in 1897. For the first fifty years or so, it was in a joint pastorate with Bethania Chapel, Lower Cwmtwrch.

Views of Brynllynfell Chapel

These photographs of Brynllynfell Chapel were taken in August 2019, and attempt to give an impression of the road up to the chapel, and past it on two sides, and of as much of a rounded view of the building as possible:-


From the Llais

The Llais newspaper had always included a round-up of happenings at local churches and chapels, even when these were not part of any particular story. Sometimes they advertised forthcoming events, and at other times who was preaching, or had preached there recently.

From the Labour Voice newspaper, 12 March 1921:-

A successful eisteddfod was held at Brynllynfell Chapel on Thursday evening. The chairman was Mr Lemuel Powell and the adjudicators were:- Music, Mr David W. Jones, A.L.V.C.; literature, Mr D. Brynfab Thomas. The accompanist was Mr A. Thomas, A.V.C.M.. The awards were as follows:-
Solo for children under 6: 1st M. Davies, 2nd Leonard Jones. Recitation under 10: 1st Gwenie Brown, 2nd Annie M. WIlliams. Solo under 12: 1st Marion Davies, 2nd Marie Davies. Recitation under 16: Morfydd Bowen and Myfanwy Davies. Solo under 16: Alice Jones. Consolation prize, Mary J. Morgans. Poems: Mr Evan Jones, Bryn. Tenor solo: prize divided between Mr Tom Davies and Willie Thomas. Quartett: Cwmtwrch party under the conductorship of Mr J. Williams. Englyn: prize divided by Mr Evan Jones, Bryn and Mr Rees Jones, Brynamman. The secretarial duties were carried out by Miss Lewis, Bryncelyn.

From the Llais, March 3rd 1923:-

Rev J. Emlyn Jones, Tabernacle, occupied the pulpit of Brynllynfell Chapel, Cwmllynfell, last Sunday.

The South Wales Voice newspaper for November 7th 1936 records the 80th birthday of pastor Rev. W. Peregrine Jones of Bethania Chapel, mentioning that for these forty years he has also held the joint pastorate of Brynllynfell Chapel.

Mr Jones' first pastorate was at Kidwelly where he remained for eight years. In 1897 he received a call to the joint pastorate of Bethania (Lower Cwmtwrch) and Brynllynfell (Cwmllunfell) Churches, the latter being a new cause. The membership of Bethania has increased from 63 to 130 and there is a membership of 150 at Brynllynfell.

The South Wales Voice newspaper for 30th November 1946 on the 90th birthday and announced retirement of pastor Rev. W. Peregrine Jones of Bethania Chapel, includes tributes to him by members of Brynllynfell Chapel.

Mr Fred Pedrick, Nantyffyllon, a former member of Brynllynfell church, mentioned his boyhood days when he was deputy organist at Brynllynfell and felt glad of the directive counsel of Mr Jones.
Mr D W Williams, deacon at Brynllynfell church, referred to the great work accomplished by Mr Jones among them. It was their intention to mark this occasion also at Brynllynfell.

Contact Ystradgynlais History
Telephone : Available on Request

Email Yeargroup:
Email Wolfian Design:
Ystradgynlais Wargraves
How To Write Alternate History

Click the cover to purchase the paperback

How To Write Alternate History is a series of articles by Grey Wolf, examining subjects such as the identity of man, whether man makes the weather, how the everyday in an alternate world is going to be changed and what names for music, vehicles, weapons etc would be different.