Sardis Chapel, Ystradgynlais


Sardis Independent Chapel was built in 1861 to replace the original chapel of that name which had been undermined by collapsing mine workings at a different local location. Located on Heol Giedd, between the Ynyscedwyn Arms and the Penybont Inn public house, it is of an unusual square design.

Although still going strong into the 2010s, the Trustees took the decision to sell the chapel building, and to continue under the name Sardis using the adjacent vestry, which is now a totally independent entity. Currently, although sold, the empty chapel building remains unconverted and unoccupied.

The above is a rare view of the rear of Sardis Chapel and the Vestry, taken in the brief period between the demolition of the thin-walled house on Rhestr Fawr and the construction of the new modern house that stands there now.

This view of Sardis Chapel from across the river was possible due to demolition work carried out on the far bank, opening the view for a short while.